Your Toxic Makeup Drawer

Why do we even have to say that today? "Toxic" makeup?  In this particular time period where we pride ourselves in our ability to...

Why do we even have to say that today? "Toxic" makeup?  In this particular time period where we pride ourselves in our ability to create incredibly ambitious inventions and designs, women are daily applying to their skin chemicals and toxins that can lead to cancer, allergies, birth defects and reproductive health issues, among many other serious health problems.

Why?  Because "Cosmetic companies may use any ingredients they choose." -The United States Food and Drug Administration


While there are over 1,000 chemicals banned in the production of makeup in Europe, there are only 8 banned in The United States.



This being said, I went through my makeup chest today with a careful eye.  I was introduced to ewg.org's Skin Deep Cosmetics Database.  This website will tell you what ingredients can be found in your makeup. From lipsticks, to primers and foundations, they have the formulas spelled out for most beauty products.

I appreciated the way they review the product in its entirety, studying each ingredient and then give it a score from 0 to 10.  0-2 being the least harmful (low hazard), to 7-10 being the most harmful (high hazard).

So...I went through all of my makeup, deciding to keep and continue using whatever was a low hazard and store away what was a 3 or more in their hazard scores.  And here is the result:

.......*drumroll please*...........

Here is the makeup with hazard scores 3 and over, spanning all the way up to 10 (yeah, that is about 85% of my makeup right there):


What I found absolutely incredible was that some of *the* most popular drug store makeup items and those most loved for their formulas by beauty lovers everywhere had some of the highest hazard scores.  Products like:

In the foundation/BB Cream department:  Lo'real's True Match Foundation, well-loved for it's blend-ability, received a hazard score of 5, as did Maybelline's Dream Fresh BB Cream and Covergirl's Outlast Stay Fabulous Foundation received a 6:



In the CC Cream Department: I am letting go of my Physician's Formula Organic Wear CC Cream after deducing that the score on this one would most likely be a 3, given that this seems to be the hazard scores for their other face products like the Organic Wear Tinted Moisturizers and Foundations.




It is a relief, though, to know that most of the other Organic Wear products have very low hazard scores.


Next product is the Lo'real Revitalift Miracle Blur, with a hazard score of 3, which really isn't as bad as I thought it would be.  I have been using this product as a primer for a month or so now and am happy with the results, but will stick with a base with a lower toxicity that I have instead:




Next, is the popular Stay Matte Powder from Rimmel London.  This is another one that I deduced would end up being over a 2 in it's hazard level, even though I could not find this product on the EWG Skin Deep website.  You can do this with any product, by simply typing it's ingredients in the search bar found on their webpage.  It will automatically reveal if the ingredient is hazardous or not.  If a product usually has more than three hazardous ingredients, I've stored it away.



More popular drug store beauty products are the beautiful line of Milani Baked Blushes, coming in at a 5 in hazard level (sniff...I have to admit, the colors are so lovely, I'll be sad to stop using these) and also, the Milani Baked Bronzer coming in at a hazard level of 4:



And, finally, the Covergirl Clump Crusher Mascara coming in at a whooping hazard level of 7:


So sad about that one, too.  It was one of the best mascara's I've ever used!


Now, here is what I have found in my makeup collection that are low in their hazard levels (0-2):


Yup, 10.  Out of...I don't know how many products I have but 10 is a very small number compared to all of the makeup I had in the beginning before sorting things through.  

I also have a small-ish sized pile of misc makeup that I could not find the ingredients on.  Still trying to decide on what I will do with those.

This is so depressing to me on so many levels because I love makeup.  I love doing my own makeup and having the opportunity to make people smile when I do theirs.  But why does 90% of makeup today have to contain such toxic ingredients?  This is ethically wrong on so many levels for someone to produce a product intended to make a woman look and feel beautiful, but slowly kill them as they apply it daily.  What is wrong with the morality of the world of cosmetics?  SO MUCH!

Women are waking up and realizing that they are being poisoned.  The demand of naturally and organically based cosmetics are causing the appearance of some new, healthy brands that pride themselves in their use of non-toxic ingredients.  I have been on the hunt for some of these and have found, among several, Burt's Bees and Gabriel Cosmetics.  I have also heard that Tarte carries some more natural based products, but I would not advocate them just yet as I have never tried them.

I have absolutely no idea what I am going to do with all of this toxic makeup. It makes me so upset that I spent money on these items, without even realizing the toxicity of their ingredients. 

I encourage women to explore their local natural and organic stores for healthier cosmetic options and I am going to try and do the same.  I'm hoping to write reviews here on my blog about Organic/Natural Based products that I like and dislike as I begin to discover them a little more closely.

Until then, stay safe and please watch out for what you're putting on your beautiful face! :)

You Might Also Like

0 comments